Friday, September 21, 2012

Starcraft II - HOTS


Initially I was going to sum up a discussion about arts here, but after rereading it again I noticed, that I can't even properly sum it up, so instead I'm going to talk about the new Starcraft 2 changes, coming with heart of the swarm and complain to my hearts content.

Now I'm a Zerg player. So this whole post might be slightly subjective. The changes coming to starcraft are sorta strange.

The terran and the protos both got their early game and late game enhanced a lot, while the Zerg Swarm really doesn't feel that outstanding.

Terrans recieved a strong new mechanical walker unit, that can be produced early game called the warhound. Now, while I sorta agree that the terrans really lacked some straightforward unit that they can produce from their factory, this one seems overly strong.
It's fairly cheap to produce, while its one of the first units you can build, has formidable defense, high range, high speed and looks like a stronger version a maraudor. I'm not entirely sure what I'm suposed to think about this guy, but he's taking down a stalker with 3 shots.

At the same time terrans are now equiped with spider mines, helion transformers that offer more survivability and higher damage and some new researches.

In all honesty, this sounds like a nightmare for any zerg player. On the bright side however, it'll provide quite a bit of additional challenge and blizzard doesnt tend to balance its strategy games badly (as long as there is no paladin in starcraft 2).

Well at the very least terran mech play is a lot more exciting now.

Protos on the other hand, recieved midgame updates. A mothership core allows quick retreat and quite some gimmicks (for example a strong defensive weapon), to play the early and mid game more risky, the oracle provides a lot new harassing options, like entombing the enemy minerals and denying resourses, while the Tempest gives the protos a nice chance for lategame air superiority, without all the awkwardness of carriers.

To be honest I like the Protos changes most.

Now I'm really not sure what to make out of the zerg changes.... but I'm going to play SC2 for now, I'll finish later :p

No comments:

Post a Comment